We've moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home in 5 seconds. If that does not occur,or you don't want to wait, visit
WordsOnWendhurst.com
Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Year Of Yellow: Culoare Zi 2009


Summer time at Wendhurst Castle means one thing; Culoare Zi! If you don't know what that is, check out last year's post about the blue party.


The invitations set the tone for the party, with their sunny yellow color and lemon graphic. We included all of the pertinent information, as well as a short fictional description of why yellow was being celebrated this year.

Walking up to our back yard, you were greeted with this little sign;

And plenty of yellow decor to get you in the spirit! I made these pretty oversized paper flowers that we stuck into all the planters,



The tables were covered in yellow tablecloths, and we had decorated with lemons, yellow balloons and other yellow fruits.



I found these yellow tiki torches last year on clearance, and although I initially purchased them for the Mid Winter Summer party we were going to do, they fit in perfect for this party.



The only rule we have for this party is that you must wear something yellow. Last year several people showed up without the color du jour, and were not invited back. This year we informed everyone of the rule, but I also bought some of those hideous plastic leis in school bus yellow for the non-conformists. Here's some friends in their yellow garb and one dissenter with her lei.
She is preggers though, so we cut her some slack. :-)


By far the highlight of our night is the food. We work hard to come up with an easy menu that is filled with foods that either are yellow, or have yellow in their name. Here's our menu for the night;




In case you can't read it, for appetizers we had Yellowfin Tuna on Cheddar and Crackers, and a fruit tray of Golden Delicious Apple Slices, Mango, Frsh Pineapple and a Lemon Fruit Dip.
The entrees consisted of Grilled Lemon Chicken, and Tortilla Patata (a Spanish dish with eggs and potatoes), with three sides, Saffron Yellow Rice, a Grilled Vegetable Medley of Dutch Yellow Potatoes, Summer Squash and Yellow Onions, and Golden Sweet Corn.
Dessert was delicious, as we served Love the Mama Lemon Bars, Banana Splits and Golden Honeydew Melon.

Everyone seemed to have a great time, and Lover's dad even brought along his guitar and played Yellow Submarine and a few other "yellow" songs. It was a lot of fun, and we can't wait till next year!


Next year is red, so start planning your outfits!


Image courtesy of this site

I am linking this post up to Julia's Hooked On Fridays as I love to throw an awesome party, and also to Foodie Friday over at Designs By Gollum, because of all our great food!

12 comments:

susan August 20, 2009 at 9:35 PM  

I want to live in your neighborhood!! What a fun party and great menu!--I would come dressed appropriately!! :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards August 20, 2009 at 9:57 PM  

Wow! That is really intense.. but very neat. =)

Love the themed menu. Very clever.

I have lots of red things to wear....*hint hint* I'll even bring over some red wine.

Shirley August 20, 2009 at 11:01 PM  

I love your color themes. A very nice idea.

Elaine August 21, 2009 at 12:18 AM  

I would have loved to have been at your party! It looks like you thought of everything! The big pretty flowers you made for the planters was such a cool idea too. I'm definitely going to "steal" that one from you for my next party! I really enjoyed all the information and all of the great ideas.
Elaine :)

Patricia @ ButterYum August 21, 2009 at 12:43 AM  

I would have had a much harder time coming up with a yellow menu. I'm impressed with yorus!

Poppedijne August 21, 2009 at 5:13 AM  

I have to remember this idea to have a color themed party.Such fun it must be to look for the right type of food!

Shellbelle August 21, 2009 at 6:45 AM  

What a great idea for a party! I would definitely have gone all out on a yellow outfit. I'm filing this idea away for future use. Thanks for sharing and next year is red? I'm so there!

Emily August 21, 2009 at 10:17 AM  

This is such a fun idea! And I can't begin to imagine the work that went into it. Love it.

Mary Bergfeld August 21, 2009 at 11:07 AM  

First of all, I love the color schemes used for the tablescapes you've chosen to share with us. Second, and more importantly, what a great idea for a party. I love the yellow menu, but I shudder at how much work this must have been. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst August 21, 2009 at 2:05 PM  

You're all invited next year if you can make it! :-)

Anonymous August 21, 2009 at 5:43 PM  

I adore yellow, it's so happy and festive! What a beautiful party.

Cristin // Simplified Bee August 25, 2009 at 8:58 PM  

super cute! love the yellow.

xo,
cristin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Top Sites

Home & Garden Blogs
>

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

GoStats hit counter