We've moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home in 5 seconds. If that does not occur,or you don't want to wait, visit
WordsOnWendhurst.com
Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Friday, August 14, 2009

Not-So-Northern Lights



Another important part of Project Curb Appeal was the porch lighting. Our old light fixture left much to be desired, as it was:
  • Boring
  • Ugly
  • Rusted
  • Dirty

See what I mean? I couldn't stand it another minute, so I took it upon myself to replace this dated fixture with something much classier.

I spent some time researching what a traditional craftsman style porch light would have looked like. Pretty much all of the sources agreed that it would have been a hanging rectangular pendant, with multiple glass sides, either transparent or semi-opaque. Something like this;

Or this;

The first fixture is from Rejuvenation.com and would have set us back $265. The second is from Craftsman Lighting Universe and costs $140. Neither appealed to me because of the price, and I was at a loss.

But, lo and behold, on one of our daily trips to Lowes, I found a mission/craftsman style hanging pendant for $30 buckaroos. No, that's not a typo, it was really only $30! And the best part was, I actually liked how it looked better than the pricier reproduction versions. I scooped that baby up faster than you can say "Arts & Crafts" and then asked Lover to install it for me. (He's our resident electrician, I don't touch cables.) It took some eyelash batting, but he did it for me, and here's the result!

BEFORE:

AFTER:


Isn't it beautiful? The previous owners made a bit of a mess of the ceiling when installing the old fixture so we're going to need a ceiling medallion, but for now it is perfect and I love it. Have you scored a great knockoff? I'd love to hear about it. :-)

I'm participating in Julia's Hooked On Fridays party this week with my lovely new porch light fixture! Check out the rest of the party here!

5 comments:

Anonymous August 14, 2009 at 12:04 PM  

Your new fixture looks so much better! Love your choice.

Terry August 14, 2009 at 3:56 PM  

I like the old one but it certainly wasn't worthy of your porch. I hope it found a nice home is a room better suited to it. The new one? Nice.

Lara Harris August 14, 2009 at 7:26 PM  

ooh! Very nice! Nice neighborhood too!:o)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards August 15, 2009 at 12:01 AM  

You did NOT get that for $30. Do you know how much I'm drooling right now.

That is cheap. Seriously cheap.

I love it.

Ashley @ AshleysBusy August 17, 2009 at 11:27 AM  

It's gorgeous. And what a pretty neighborhood you live it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Top Sites

Home & Garden Blogs
>

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

GoStats hit counter