We've moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home in 5 seconds. If that does not occur,or you don't want to wait, visit
WordsOnWendhurst.com
Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Friday, July 9, 2010

Can't get on board

As much as I love decorating, and I try to keep abreast of the current trends, there are a few that I just cannot get on board with. There are definitely a few current trends that make me go -" oh my goodness, what are they THINKING?" And while I am sure that some people might say the same thing about some of my choices, this is my blog, so I get to pick on them for a day. :-) So here goes...

Burlap




No offense to all my bloggy friends out there with burlap ribbon, and burlap table runners and burlap bedskirts. Burlap is greatly loved because of its amazing texture, and I am in total agreement about that. Burlap has awesome texture. But, that visual texture is linked to a tactile texture that feels like something akin to sandpaper to me. Why, I ask, would you want a burlap pillow on your bed? I don't know about you, but when I lay this head down to sleep, I want it to be on something soft. I don't relish the idea of a nightly facial from my pillow.

Owls




OK, I canNOT be the only person who is creeped out by owls. Seriously. I constantly read about someone who found an old metal sculpture of an owl, refreshed it with spray paint, and oh-my-goodness-would-you-look-at-how-cute-it-is-now! Sorry friends, but when I see these pretty painted owls, all I can picture is this:



And from someone who, at the tender age of seven, couldn't sleep for a week after watching Raiders of the Lost Ark, you can imagine how I feel about having creepy owls staring at me from my living room. No thanks!

Tassels




I don't have a lot to say about this one. I love a tasseled fringe as much as  the next girl. Heck, my dining room curtains are held back with tassels.  So I am not a tassel hater, when used appropriately. But these decorative tassels that everyone is hanging from their lamps, and hutches and doorknobs? I just don't get it. They remind me of something I heard someone say about a platypus once. "God made all the animals in the world, and then he made the platypus out of the leftover pieces."



Wouldn't it be great if I could find a tassel that features an owl as the ornamentation, with some burlap to really set it off? :-D

Plates on a Wall




Now, don't get me wrong, I've seen this done right. In fact, in an upcoming project, I plan on using a few plates as decoration on my wall. And, when done in a kitchen, or a dining room, it makes sense to me. Of course, most times you can't ever use those plates, they're strictly there for decoration, but I am okay with that.  But in a bedroom? Or a bathroom? It just makes no sense to me.  Hey, while I am taking a nice bath, I will gaze at these lovely china plates. Wait, why am I  starting to feel a little hungry? ;-) And wouldn't you be worried about them falling down on your head in the middle of the night? What if there is an earthquake? Hey mom, I survived the earthquake, but I needed fifty stichtes from the pottery shards that got stuck in my head. :-)

3 comments:

rachel July 9, 2010 at 11:00 AM  

I totally agree about the burlap. The rest of your points, too, but mainly the burlap. A place for everything, and everything in its place. Burlap's place is going to be somewhere functional, not somewhere pretty and soft.

Deb@Confessions of an Ugly Mom July 9, 2010 at 4:40 PM  

Ha!

No kidding about your various stages of renovation. And you're right -- the "demo" style probalby only works for those of use who really, REALLY hate to clean. :-) Your home is looking wonderful!

jen July 12, 2010 at 7:54 PM  

you know that the first burlap owl tassel I see, I'm getting for you, right?!! This makes me laugh…and I pretty much agree with you…especially on the tassels. When I first started seeing them around, I tried really hard to see what the attraction was…still don't get it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Top Sites

Home & Garden Blogs
>

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

GoStats hit counter