We've moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home in 5 seconds. If that does not occur,or you don't want to wait, visit
WordsOnWendhurst.com
Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Monday, December 14, 2009

Dare to DIY: Simple Christmas Card Display

It's week five of Dare to DIY over at Newlywoodwards. This week's challenge was to make something new to deck your halls.

For the past several years I have taped the Christmas cards that we receive up on the wall in our dining room. It looked cute, but also kind of cluttery, and by Christmas I was always ready to yank them all down and throw them away. So I started looking for something I could use in a new way to display the Christmas cards.

In our living room we have a little sliver of wall next to the window that I never know how to decorate. I've yet to find the right piece of art, or whatnot to put there. Usually it just stays empty. So I thought it would be the perfect place for a fun Christmas card display.

I had an old cork board up in the office that I thought would work for this project. I'm trying to wait to buy Christmas decorations until after the holidays this year (not that I'm crazy about the selection this year anyways) once everything goes on sale, so I knew I would be making this myself.

While in Joann Fabrics for the umpteenth time this month, I saw a wrapping paper display that was 60% off. I found this pretty white paper with gold designs on it and knew that it would work for this project.
I wrapped the board as if I were wrapping a present, using regular Scotch tape to adhere it to the back of the board.

Then I raided my ribbon stash for a gold ribbon, and attached it to the back of the frame with little thumbtacks.

Two seconds later it was hanging from the nail in the wall,

and displaying the cards we had received so far.


Simple, cheap and chic. I love it, and the best part is I can change it up each year to accommodate the color scheme I'm using then. What have you made for Christmas?

Linked to Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch

Make it for Monday @ Cottage Instincts

It's So Very Creative @ It's So Very Cheri

DIY Holiday Highlights @ The DIY Showoff

DIY Day @ A Soft Place to Land

10 comments:

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row December 14, 2009 at 9:21 AM  

Love this - so much better than throwing it in a bowl (like I do).

Emily December 14, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

Yeah, I like this. We just tuck ours into the door of our hutch in the dining room, but this looks so much more purposeful! Love it.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards December 14, 2009 at 11:09 AM  

This looks really nice. I love that it looks tidy and is reusable. I always feel the same way about my cards by the end of the season.

Thanks for linking up.

ashley morgan December 14, 2009 at 11:48 AM  

It's great! I also love that you can use it every year, or even during the year for other things.

Amanda @ Serenity Now December 15, 2009 at 3:50 PM  

Cute (and simple!) project!! Love the paper you chose. :) Thanks so much for the visit. :)

Delightful Dwelling December 15, 2009 at 7:29 PM  

It looks so pretty, what a neat idea!

Miss Mustard Seed December 15, 2009 at 9:26 PM  

Very nice job! I'm sure you'll use that for many years.

cindy December 16, 2009 at 8:58 PM  

Very clever....if we even got any cards (I think last year we received 2 total!) I'd seriously think about doing this.:)

Thanks for linking to Mi4M!

Sarah December 16, 2009 at 9:11 PM  

Sweet idea! I was looking for a Christmas card display and yours is perfect. Thanks!!!
God's blessings, Sarah :D

Its So Very Cheri December 21, 2009 at 8:19 AM  

Great idea. I have thought of different things to try but never done any of them.

Cheri

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Top Sites

Home & Garden Blogs
>

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

GoStats hit counter