We've moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home in 5 seconds. If that does not occur,or you don't want to wait, visit
WordsOnWendhurst.com
Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Monday, June 14, 2010

What's Better Than Free?


Last fall, on one of my walks around the neighborhood, I spotted a chair in a garbage pile that was definitely worth saving! The chair was already painted, but it was a yellowed cream, and the fabric on the seat, although a pretty pattern, was torn and faded, so it would need to be replaced. I figured it was an easy project and that it would take me less then a day to complete the makeover of this pretty little wooden chair, and then it would look perfect in the guest room.

Later that week, I unscrewed the seat, gave the chair a light sanding, and began it's makeover with white spray paint. The cheap white spray paint that I had purchased did not even begin to cover the yellowy cream underneath. So, I set the chair aside until I had time to work on it. Fast forward more than six months, and I finally returned to this project. After dusting off some cobwebs, I pulled out the trusty Kilz primer and brushed it all over the chairs spindles and curves. One coat of primer was all it took, and then it was easy to spray three light coats of white paint all over to complete the chair's transformation.

A few days later, when I had another small block of time, I recovered the chair's seat cushion. I ripped off the old faded floral, and then simply placed the seat on top of the fabric I was using and cut a few inches around it, then stapled the new fabric onto the bottom side of the seat. The whole shebang took less than half an hour. After screwing the seat back into the wooden frame, the chair's transformation was finished!

Check out how much better it looks in the corner of our black and white guest room than the wooden clunker that was there before. Isn't it b-e-a-U-tiful?



The best part was that all I had to purchase was the paint, as I already had the primer and fabric, and the chair itself was free!

Linked to Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch, Thrifty Treasures @ Southern Hospitality, DIY Project Parade @ DIY Showoff, Get Your Craft On @ Todays Creative Blog, Pajama Party @ Life in My PJs, Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed

14 comments:

Amanda June 14, 2010 at 6:47 AM  

Love your new chair! It really goes with the rest of the room! Nice job!

Diane June 14, 2010 at 9:50 AM  

Wow! That is soooo pretty. I love makeovers and that chair was a great find.

I came here via Met Monday. I hope you can visit me sometimes over at Pittypat Paperie.

Debbie June 14, 2010 at 2:37 PM  

This really changes the look of the room! Great job, and GREAT deal!
Debbie@houseatthelake

Kimberly @ Attempting Creative June 14, 2010 at 2:43 PM  

Agreed - this is great!

Rhoda @ southern Hospitality June 14, 2010 at 3:02 PM  

Love the chair & the fabric! Your pics are really nice too, thanks for joining the party.

Kim@NewlyWoodwards June 14, 2010 at 3:27 PM  

Oh, that new chair is divine. And, in the garbage? What were they thinking?

Love the fabric, too. Looks so nice in the room.

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home June 14, 2010 at 5:40 PM  

My, oh my! That is world's better!

Michelle @ Sweet Something June 14, 2010 at 5:54 PM  

Very nice! Free is always good! Great job, it looks great in your space! Love the fabric you chose too!

Suzanne June 14, 2010 at 7:07 PM  

Wow is right! It looks so chic, and so fresh~well done!

Kayleen @ This Old Chair June 14, 2010 at 8:21 PM  

Ohhh so cute! I love the b&w fabric. . . and I really LOVE makeovers!

Lisa~ June 15, 2010 at 6:18 AM  

It looks great! I love the black and white. Job well done! Lisa~

Blue Artichoke Interiors June 17, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

Great graphic black and white fabric! Such a good choice for your room and gives it a nice pop!

debbie June 19, 2010 at 4:07 PM  

What's better than free is YOURS!!~ Looks fantastic...love the fabric choice and it looks very good there! Would love for you to join in on my party goings on now:)

Rene June 21, 2010 at 3:03 AM  

The chair is beautiful now and I really love that entire space. Very nice!

-Rene

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Top Sites

Home & Garden Blogs
>

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

GoStats hit counter