We've moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home in 5 seconds. If that does not occur,or you don't want to wait, visit
WordsOnWendhurst.com
Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Monday, March 1, 2010

Make the Change!

You know how it's those little things that you change in your home that make all the difference? I recently made one of those in our living room, and I am so glad I did. And the worst part is, I thought about it for for-ev-er and it only took me about five minutes to take care of. I can guarantee you that I spent more than five minutes thinking about making this change, and trying to decide if it would look any better.

Lover's mom gave us this poster when we bought the castle, and we found a cool poster sized frame on clearance at The Christmas Tree Shop shortly thereafter. It was about $4 because the plexiglass was popped out at a weird angle. That's right, nothing actually the matter with the frame, it just looked wonky. The colors in the poster went perfectly with the color scheme that we were working with in the living room, so we were psyched. :-)  We hung it up on the wall, and shortly thereafter found the perfect narrow table (on the side of the road) to go beneath it. From the moment we hung it, I thought, you know that might be too high. And then I left it. And stressed about it. Until the other day, when I finally decided to tackle it. I ended up lowering it about 7 inches.

Here's the before:



And the after:



Can't see a difference? :-) I know, it's not that drastic. Here they are side by side.



I love it. Now I can sit on the couch and not stress about that picture. I can just enjoy it. So the moral of the story is to stop stressing, and just DO whatever it is you are thinking about. The extra space in your brain will thank you. :-)

Linked to DIY Day @ A Soft Place to Land

Before and After Party @ Thrifty Decor Chick

4 comments:

Emily March 2, 2010 at 5:10 AM  

Picture height is tricky, but this definitely makes a difference. I love the poster, too! I always heard that an average height person should be able to look at the center of a photograph at eye level. Not sure if that's true, but I go with it because at 5'6 I figure I'm a good standard and 6'3" Mr. B can just look down at things :)

Kimberly @ Attempting Creative March 2, 2010 at 7:34 AM  

Agreed. This makes a huge difference!

rachel March 2, 2010 at 11:53 AM  

This is funny because I did the same thing -- stressing and thinking about moving our living room furniture -- instead of just doing it. You can always change it back if you don't like it, right? Most things, anyway. One of these days I'll be ripping up the carpet just because I need to know if I can live with the wood floors underneath. I'm also {almost} inspired to clean and organize our basement, after seeing some of your basement transformation.

I love your poster and definitely agree the wall is more balanced with it being a little lower.

Emily Kate March 3, 2010 at 4:54 AM  

Huge difference! I hadn't read all the way through the post yet, and as soon as I saw that first image I thought, "Hmm, I think that poster is hung too high!" And the voila!

I am actually terrible at knowing how high to hang things, but very good at fussing over them once they are hung! I've heard the same advice that Emily gave above -- but everything is so relative depending on furniture height, other pictures on the wall, etc. As you've proven, trial and error sometimes works best I think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Top Sites

Home & Garden Blogs
>

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

GoStats hit counter