We've moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home in 5 seconds. If that does not occur,or you don't want to wait, visit
WordsOnWendhurst.com
Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Dining Room Curtain Rehab

I told you that this was going to be the week of the dining room. Aren't you so excited? I know I am. :-) Today's topic will be the curtains.



I am trying to remember when I bought these curtain rods. I'm thinking it was about a year or so ago. I bought two, one for the dining room, and one for the living room. These rooms open up to each other, so I've tried to keep the color scheme and design cohesive so that the rooms didn't feel disjointed.

I made the curtains by purchasing the wheaty golden colored panels from Lowe's and then sewing this awesome sari fabric onto them. I love the rich deep blues in the fabric, and the gold panels bring out the gold designs in the fabric. Plus, the panels coordinate with the wall color perfectly.

The color of the curtain rod, however, was terrible. It too was gold, but it had green undertones that clashed with the wall, the trim and the curtains and drove me batty every time I looked at it. I wanted to change it from the get go, but I felt like it needed to match the one in the living room. (And that one doesn't look too bad)

Besides all that, I didn't like how the curtains hung from those little strings. They were really dramatic, except for that top part where they looked a little pathetic. I hemmed and hawed about what to do to fix them, and finally decided to simply pin those stringy parts to the back with safety pins. I folded the skinny tabs toward the back of the curtain, and secured it with a safety pin. Then I ran the rod between the back of the curtain and the pinned down loop. Now the top of the curtain was right up next to the rod. The bonus was that this shortened the curtains by a few inches, so now they just graze the floor and they look a lot better.



Next up was the curtain rod. I decided that it would be okay to paint it, so I took that sucker down. I hauled it down to the basement where I gave it a coat of matte black paint, and then a light spray of glossy brown. Once I got it up on the wall again, I knew I had made the right choice. The dark color just popped right off the wall, but it blended with the color scheme, instead of clashing.



Now the curtains looks full and luxurious, and the rod makes a statement of its own. I love the difference!

Come back tomorrow for another little project that I accomplished in the dining room on my quest to take it from good to great! And if you just can't wait till tomorrow, read about how I created cheap wall art for one of the blank walls in this room and made over a lamp for the buffet.

Linked to Make it For Monday @ Cottage Instincts

Metamorphosis  Monday @ Between Naps on The Porch

Make Your Monday @ Twice Remembered

I Made it Without my Hubby @ Shanty 2 Chic

DIY Day @ A Soft Place to Land

Get Your Craft On @ Today's Creative Blog

15 comments:

Nancy March 7, 2010 at 4:16 PM  

Excellent! I have thought about doing this. So glad it works out so well.

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove March 7, 2010 at 4:23 PM  

Nice Transformation.

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey March 7, 2010 at 4:53 PM  

what a great easy solution. the change is very nice!

Jennifer March 7, 2010 at 5:38 PM  

Wow... what a huge difference those few changes made! I really like it!!
~Jennifer
www.studiojru.com

Treasia March 8, 2010 at 2:42 AM  

Beautiful transformation. Looks great.

June March 8, 2010 at 2:49 AM  

Great transformation. The new rod color does pop!

Kat March 8, 2010 at 3:44 AM  

I love the changes you made to both the rod and the curtains, really pretty!

Kat :)

Celeste @ Cottage Dreamers March 8, 2010 at 4:13 AM  

Very clever! I'll have to remember that trick!

denise March 8, 2010 at 5:34 AM  

Following you from Beneath Naps On The Porch. This was a beautiful and talented transformation. I look forward to your next project!http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/

Bonnie @ House of Grace March 8, 2010 at 5:58 AM  

I love the new rod!! What a difference it made! I found you from Make it for Monday. I am your newest follower!!! I can't wait to see what you do next!

Jessi @ Yankee Belle Home March 8, 2010 at 6:22 AM  

Oh, so much better! The color of the rod is perfect and I also like the top of the curtains better without the loops. Nice job!

Yvonne March 8, 2010 at 11:35 AM  

These are simple changes but the make a huge difference!Your curtains are stunning. What a great pick! It's wonderful that you have a great eye for style and what works. Kudos to you!
Yvonne

cindy March 9, 2010 at 2:30 AM  

Looks really great....I'm kinda over the whole tab top thing too. :) I've got TONS of them in my house that need de-tabbed!

Glad you could Mi4M :)

Merrie March 9, 2010 at 3:41 PM  

Very impressive! I love the makeover and better still your can do attitude!

Artie March 10, 2010 at 5:20 AM  

Great job! It's amazing what some safety pins and creativity can get ya! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Top Sites

Home & Garden Blogs
>

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

GoStats hit counter