We've moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home in 5 seconds. If that does not occur,or you don't want to wait, visit
WordsOnWendhurst.com
Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Dare to DIY: A Thanksgiving Project




I'm participating in Kim at Newlywoodward's Dare to DIY Blog Party. This week our challenge was to Dare to be Thankful! Here's my contribution to the party.

I've had a Thanksgiving tradition for the last few years where I find some time to sit down and make a list of the things in my life that I am thankful for. It's always such a refreshing time as I realize just how blessed I am, and how very much I have to be thankful for.

This year I wanted to make a little frame that we could use each Thanksgiving to list the things that we are thankful for. Jen from A Thousand Words made a menu plan a while back that she did by repurposing a picture frame, and I adapted that idea for this project.

I went to my favorite store, Goodwill, and found a great tabletop frame that would work for the project. Sadly, it was not 50% off, and it definitely needed a makeover! I actually liked the border, but the whole frame was a little too 80's. :-)

I first painted the frame with a warm brown color that I made by mixing two of my brown craft paints together.

It took two coats to cover the shiny black and gold, but once they were dry, the frame had a whole new look. I took a wet paper towel and rubbed little parts of the brown off to show the gold on the edges again, just to give the color some dimension.

I had fun painting little fall colored leaves over the frame, and I even attempted painting some letters onto the bottom to spell out Thanksgiving.

To finish it up, I just popped some pretty paper inside the frame, and cleaned the glass. Then, with a wet erase marker I could just write the things I am thankful for over the next week or so leading up to Thanksgiving. Then, when the holiday is over, I can wipe it clean and save it for next year!



I thought the frame looked a little lonely on its own, so I set it with a vase of fall colored mums and an origami turkey that I made following this set of instructions.

Hope you enjoyed my little Thanksgiving project. Be sure to check back next week to see what Kim is challenging us to DIY!

Also linked to Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch

It's So Very Creative @ It's So Very Cheri

Made It Mondays @ Persimmon Perch

DIY Day @ A Soft Place to Land

26 comments:

black eyed susans kitchen November 15, 2009 at 8:57 PM  

Love this and especially love the origami turkey! Now I have to make a bunch for the Thanksgiving table..this was so cool!
Susan

Its So Very Cheri November 15, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

I love learning new things like this.

Very cool. I will have to have my kids try it--they will have a ball.

Cheri

Its So Very Cheri November 15, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

I am a follower

Cheri

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards November 15, 2009 at 9:18 PM  

I so want to try that turkey. I've always wanted to make something origami, and I never have.

Love that you can reuse your frame every year. Very clever that it's erasable.

Lori E November 15, 2009 at 9:18 PM  

A great idea. Everyone can add to it and enjoy it for weeks.
I wish I was better at origami. It is such a lovely art and there are so many nice papers to use.

Sarah November 15, 2009 at 9:26 PM  

Good idea. Love the origami turkey. I'm going to make some of these. Thanks for the site for instructions.

Kelee November 15, 2009 at 9:52 PM  

Love your turkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And thoughts.....blessings!

Stop by....

love, kelee

Anonymous November 15, 2009 at 10:17 PM  

This turned out so cute and I've never seen an origami turkey before - just precious.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Karen The Graphics Fairy November 15, 2009 at 10:17 PM  

What a lovely tradition, and the Turkey is adorable!

Maureen November 15, 2009 at 10:19 PM  

That is one cool bird!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming November 16, 2009 at 12:13 AM  

Great idea - and the little turkey...I love him!

michelle@somedaycrafts November 16, 2009 at 1:51 AM  

Love the origami!!! That would be cute place settings!

Diann November 16, 2009 at 2:24 AM  

Very cute idea! Thanks for sharing it!

Beeutiful by Design November 16, 2009 at 9:26 AM  

I love the frame, this would be a great idea for any holiday. Have a great week!

ashley morgan November 16, 2009 at 11:05 AM  

The reusable frame is a great idea. And that turkey! My bro-in-law is an origami freak, and I'm sure he'd say that's one fine turkey!

Eric November 16, 2009 at 11:15 AM  

Great idea for a frame - G O O D W I L L !

I was going to head over to a custom framing store to get some for some prints I just had made from a recent trip to Paris, but this should save me some $$$ (BTW - to see some of the pics I'll be framing, look on my blog - and if you want one, let me know and I'll send an 8x10 your way!

Marianne November 16, 2009 at 12:43 PM  

I adore that little turkey! So nice! Oh and the frame looks good to :-)

Emily November 16, 2009 at 1:21 PM  

It looks great Jenny! And your patience for an Oragami turkey is astounding!

Unknown November 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM  

So cute, I love the leaves you drew on the pan, and the origami turkey - so impressed!

Julie November 16, 2009 at 9:22 PM  

What a great idea. I love that you are capturing what you are thankful for. Make sure to take a picture before you erase it; years from now that list will be a treasure I'm sure! Thanks for posting to Made it Monday! Jules

KimMalk November 16, 2009 at 9:39 PM  

@Cheap Chic Home. That is a nice idea. The turkey is a*d*o*r*a*b*l*e.

Anonymous November 17, 2009 at 2:13 AM  

Definitely a treasure from the heart. Lovely and beautiful tutorial, as well.

nannykim November 17, 2009 at 8:49 PM  

This is a grand idea!! I may just do this as I have a frame that would work!!! I love this. I will have to look up the how to on the turkey--I am out of the right paper but I may be able to scrounge up something ;0( Thanks!

http://spindlecottage.blogspot.com/2009/11/met-monday-creating-snowflakes.html

hjn November 17, 2009 at 11:59 PM  

I love this idea! The turkey is pretty darn cute too!
Mama Holli

Lara Harris November 18, 2009 at 7:46 PM  

Great idea!Love the origami as well!I used to do that as a young girl,so beautiful!:)

Nancy November 20, 2009 at 4:01 AM  

Great idea, and in love with the turkey, too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Top Sites

Home & Garden Blogs
>

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

GoStats hit counter