Warning, this will be a long post! However, the transformation from dreary and dark,
to romantic and beautiful, is well worth your time. I promise!
Of the three available bedrooms in the house, we chose the one to the left of the stairs for the following reasons:
- It was closest to the bathroom :0)
- It had the least amount of work needed to be "liveable" right away
- It was the nicest.
So, we exposed all of the orange wall, and then slapped on a coat of $6 white paint on the ceiling, and $6 antique white on the walls. We learned two things from this first project: 1) $6 paint is crap. Seriously, save your money, and buy good paint from the blue store or the orange store. 2)Antique white just looks like dirty white. Not exactly mood inspiring for a bedroom.
Then, one afternoon in early summer I decided I had had enough of a room with no ambience, and promptly accomplished 2a and 2b: we bought a real, grownup bed, rearranged the furniture, and hung curtains from our old apartment. (The blinds were still up though) This made the room liveable until January 2009, which is when we finally pretti-fied the room.
Here's a few more shots for your viewing pleasure:
So to sum up, this is what we accomplished in this room in the first year:
- Painted walls and ceiling
- Painted walls and ceiling, again. Better this time.
- Replaced half moon sconces with pretty sconces.
- Replaced metal mini blinds with drapes and a roman shade.
- Bought a real! bed
- Ripped out icky carpet.
- Put in new switchplates and outlet covers
- Replaced dimmer switch.
- Replace the three outlets
Paint heater vent
- Refinish floors
- Redo closet wall (we were gonna do that first, remember? hee hee)
- Buy new dressers