We've moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home in 5 seconds. If that does not occur,or you don't want to wait, visit
WordsOnWendhurst.com
Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Laundry Room Progress

When we began the basement renovation/remodel, we talked for hours about a new layout down there that would be the most user friendly and much more aesthetically pleasing than the previous layout.  The laundry area was one of the areas that has been switched all around.

Previously you had to enter the basement bathroom and then enter the little laundry area. It was small and claustrophobic, and although we freshened it up with some white paint and fabric, it was still small and claustrophobic. It's only redeeming quality was that it had a window, so there was still a little natural light. Here's what it looked like up until two weeks ago.



Then, as we spent yet another weekend on the basement, we ripped everything out of that corner and took everything back to the cinder block walls. This is the part where it gets scary, as things always do when you have it all ripped apart, and haven't begun rebuilding yet. Apparently the previous owners thought that aluminum foil was a great insulator, because they lined the walls with it before putting up paneling. The centipedes apparently really enjoyed the foil, as we found what seemed to be their main nest behind the foil. AHHHH! Luckily I have a wonderful husband and a really nice brother who dealt with all of that for me.  And I am happy to report that many centipedes were harmed in the re-making of this laundry area.  Here's how the new laundry corner looked after we had taken it back to basics.







Yep, it was pretty scary looking while it was all nekked. Much like many of us, I am afraid. ;-) I knew that I wanted the new little laundry area to be a fun splash of color, so I painted the cinder block turquoise. Fun! Before painting I used a wire brush to clear off any flaking paint, and then cleaned up everything with the shop vac. My BFF Kilz created a good surface for the paint to stick to, and I went ahead and did two coats to really seal the walls. Then I went to town with my turquoise, and did two coats with that as well.



So now the washer and dryer are on the opposing wall (same corner) of the wall they used to be on, and the laundry sink is in the middle of the two, instead of being stuck in a corner, backwards. (!?!) It's actually usable now, which I am finding to be quite the novel concept. :-)



Above the washer and dryer there used to be a single pane window that got no light because it was underneath our back deck. We replaced it with a plywood panel that allows the dryer and the bathroom fan to vent through it. Eventually I will paint the panel too, so that it blends in a little more.



I'm looking for just the right light fixture to go in this little area, and I've got grand plans for storage and making the whole area a little prettier, as well as some collapsible doors to close off the whole area when not in use.  I'll keep updating you as we make progress.  Which brings me to my next question: which accent color(s) should I use with the turquoise?

Orange?

Red?

Light Green?

Watermelon?

Yellow?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what accent to use. I'm looking forward to your comments!

Linked to Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch

Make It For Monday @ Cottage Instincts

Make Your Monday @ Twice Remembered

DIY Day @ A Soft Place To Land

Get Your Craft On @ Today's Creative Blog

Talented Tuesdays @ My Frugal Family

Trash to Treasure Tuesday @ reinvented

Thrifty Thursday @ Tales from Bloggeritaville

Transformation Thursday @ Shabby Chic Cottage

Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple

Finished For Friday @ Lit and Laundry

Share Your Story @ Remodelaholic

Show and Tell Friday @ Romantic Home

20 comments:

Kristen @ Miss Prissy Paige February 15, 2010 at 2:38 PM  

The turquoise is fabulous. I love yellow paired with it. Can't wait to see which your choose!

Jennifer Allwood February 15, 2010 at 6:08 PM  

I would do orange. My paint studio is turquoise and I have put some orange in with it! Love it!

m February 15, 2010 at 7:06 PM  

Holy smokes!!! Awesome!

m ^..^

Sherri S February 16, 2010 at 10:35 AM  

Holy smokes! You've done TONS of work. Can't wait to see the rest!

Kimm at REINVENTED February 16, 2010 at 4:53 PM  

Love that turquoise!! I would go with a warm color, red would be awesome, but orange would look great too. Make it fun, 'cuz laundry should be fun, you know. :) thanks for linking up!

cindy February 17, 2010 at 2:32 PM  

I vote red! Love that color combo :) Great job on making a difficult area fun! Thanks for linking to Mi4M!

Kim February 17, 2010 at 4:21 PM  

Looks nice. Your basement reminds me of our old one. We never did anything to it except paint the crazy yellow paint on the walls going down the stairs. Good luck.

Sara February 17, 2010 at 4:34 PM  

I love the turquoise, so pretty! I would have freaked out at the centipedes, I hate those things! I really like turquoise and red together along with white. I think the red really would pop and make the room more fun and warm.

jen February 17, 2010 at 4:42 PM  

okay, first of all, I got the total heebie jeebies just thinking about the possibility of more than one centipede in one place at the same time. I mean, what if they run in opposite directions?? I would. not. handle. that. well.

at all.

a whole nest? I would probably need to be sedated.

In my lifetime, I have lived in a couple of places where one of those thoroughly nasty, freaky creatures would show up once in a while…always in my bathroom, way too often in my shower (I really want bolds and italics formatting on the comments at this moment). But it was only ever just one. So I got so I could handle that. Especially when I found out how easily they die. The thought of many of them all at once makes me shudder.

anyway. the turquoise is great!! and I say go orange. or possibly just the right olive green. The more I think about it, the more I like the olive. or dark mustard…I'm going to stop now!!

jennifer February 17, 2010 at 10:14 PM  

RED! I love red with turquoise and it will work well with your white appliances. You could even throw a little black in there as well.

Great redo!

Michelle February 18, 2010 at 7:16 AM  

What a great color choice!!! Makes me want to do laundry... almost!

:) Michelle

Jennie February 18, 2010 at 10:06 AM  

Oh, WOW! Great job. I think yellow would look so fresh and clean with the blue. Keep us up to date...I'm excited to see it when it's done!

Creative Decor by Brooke February 18, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

Wow what a project. You are really brave. It looks great. Turquoise is great, bright and cheerful, great for laundry, right.
Brooke

kirstin February 18, 2010 at 11:14 AM  

I love this! Right now, I'm looking out my window at gray skies and empty tree branches (ugh, february), so I vote orange as a bright, cheerful accent color. :)
We have a friday fun finds party- if you're interested, we'd love if you'd link up tomorrow! :)

Leigh. Tales from Bloggeritaville February 18, 2010 at 5:17 PM  

You guys are knocking it out week by week! What an inspiration! It looks great! Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday this week!
Hugs,
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Heather February 19, 2010 at 5:06 AM  

i vote yellow or green. a turquoise laundry room is on my list of things to do when i become a homeowner.

threeundertwo February 19, 2010 at 6:56 AM  

I want to know what someone was thinking when they installed that sink backwards. And I'm with Jen on the centipedes - I would have been screaming.

I love the red idea for an accent color, or watermelon. This is a really great transformation. Thanks so much for linking up to Finished for Friday - so fun to find your blog!

Heather February 21, 2010 at 6:30 PM  

love that choice of colour. Bright is good. What about terra cotta colour for an accent?

Heather @My Frugal Family February 22, 2010 at 12:35 PM  

Thank you so much for linking up with the Talented Tuesday link party at My Frugal Family, which is hosted every Tuesday. Please feel free to stop back in every week and post your newest projects!

Cassity @ Remodelaholic February 23, 2010 at 6:35 AM  

Oh you could use any color! I love the watermelon, or the orange.. or the red. Can't decide! Good luck!

I am so glad you stopped by to join our little the party, I hope to see you there again! We have them every Friday. (And we are now doing a recipe link up on Wednesday!)

Cassity @ Remodelaholic

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Top Sites

Home & Garden Blogs
>

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

GoStats hit counter