We've moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home in 5 seconds. If that does not occur,or you don't want to wait, visit
WordsOnWendhurst.com
Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Killahara Castle






Hello friends. Life outside my window is snow covered, cold and dreary, so I figured we could play make believe again. 'Member this castle that I posted about a few months ago that was for sale? Well, I've found another, this time in the magical place that is Ireland. Let me introduce you to Killahara Castle, just an hour and a half away from Dublin, Cork and Shannon.

This lovely is 500 years old, but has been lovingly restored by diehard conservationists. They managed to update the castle with all of the comforts of home; running water, heat and electricity, while still maintaining the authenticity of the castle. The castle has been owned by various clans and families throughout its long and rich history, and it was even a dance hall in the 1920's and 30's. Check out the beautiful architecture.


Although the decor inside is decidedly castle-ish, it is beautiful and austere. Pictured here is the bedroom that was originally occupied by the chief who built the castle in 1550.

The dining room is spacious and light-filled,

and the bathrooms are thoroughly modernized.

Take the original spiral stone staircase all the way to the top,

and you'll find the penthouse suite with a gorgeous views, a bathroom and a rooftop patio.


The views!! Oh, the views. This is Ireland, after all. Try not to drool on your keyboard.


But don't get too carried away. Renting this castle for the weekend will set you back nearly $2,000, and purchasing it outright? Well, let's just pretend like we don't care.

Images taken from original listing here, and also from the castle's website.


4 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions January 21, 2010 at 11:04 AM  

How lovely! I had to comment on this post because my 19 year old son just made plans to go to Ireland in June {something I have mixed feelings about, but that's my job as his mother}. I'm sure he won't be looking at beautiful buildings and scenic views, but I hope he will take advantage of this opportunity and, hopefully, take some pictures for his Mom!

RenĂ© January 21, 2010 at 2:16 PM  

Wow! Thank you for sharing these lovely pictures. Would love to travel there.

Glenda/MidSouth January 21, 2010 at 4:24 PM  

Great pictures - thanks for sharing. When I was younger, I use to think it would be great to live in one of the old, gorgeous castles. Not any more - I have a feeling the cost to heat one would be unreal.

Unknown January 21, 2010 at 8:25 PM  

Rooftop patio, I'm in! Would love to make a visit there someday..

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Top Sites

Home & Garden Blogs
>

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

GoStats hit counter