We've moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home in 5 seconds. If that does not occur,or you don't want to wait, visit
WordsOnWendhurst.com
Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

How to Write a Thank You Note.


For the last few years I have had the tradition of writing thank you notes for gifts we receive throughout the Christmas season. I began it as a way to remind myself to actually be thankful for the gifts I was receiving, and now it is a tradition I really enjoy.

While email, Facebook and texting are becoming our communication methods de facto, there's nothing quite like receiving a handwritten card in the mail. It says you cared enough to find the time in your day to personally remember someone. Handwriting a thank you note, however, can be a daunting task. Here's how it's done.

I like to find cards with a pretty design on the front, that are something that I think is stylish. Thank you cards are a great way to express your own sense of style.

Find cards with a blank inside. I find this easier, as I don't feel boxed in by what is already written, as a thank you note is generally straightforward and to the point.

Write neatly, so that the recipient doesn't have to struggle inordinately to understand your writing. However, don't worry if you don't have perfect handwriting, as the simple fact that you took the time to handwrite the card will make it special.

Start with the recipient's name, using a title if appropriate. (Mr, Mrs, Grandma, Grandpa, etc)

Dear Jessica
-or-
Hi Grandma!

Explain that you are writing to thank the person for the gift that they gave to you.

Just wanted to send you a little note to
say thank you for the lotions you gave me.
-or-
Just wanted to send a little note to
say thank you for having Luke and I over for dinner last week.

Mention the gift (item, time, effort, service) specifically, and mention something that you like about it.
I really like the scent you picked out, vanilla is one of my favorites!
-or-
We had a great time, and the food that you made was delicious!
Chicken Marsala is one of my favorite meals.

Wrap up by mentioning again how grateful you are for the gift, and thank them for the time and sentiment behind the gift.
Thanks again for thinking of me, it made me feel so special!
-or-
We really appreciate the time and effort, and look forward
to spending time together again soon!

Express a closing sentiment that is appropriate for your relationship with the person.
Your friend,
-or-
Love,

And sign your name. A first name is fine for anyone you are friends with, and also for family members. If it is someone from work, or a more distant relationship, it would be more appropriate to sign your full name.

Jenny

So, in summary, your written sentiment will look like this.

Dear Jessica,
I wanted to send you a quick note to say thank you for the lotions you gave me.
I really like the scent you picked out, vanilla is one of my favorites! Thanks again for thinking
of me, it makes me feel so special!
Your friend,
Jenny

-or-

Dear Grandma,
Just wanted to send a little note to say thank you for having Luke and I over for dinner last week. We had a great time, and the food that you made was delicious! Chicken Marsala is one of my favorite meals. We really appreciate the time and effort , and look forward to spending time together again soon!
Love,
Jenny

A few tips:
- Write with moderately large handwriting, so that your card is easily read. The bonus of this is that it will fill up the card!
- Start your greeting about one fourth of the way down the blank part of the card. This makes the card look nicer, and helps to fill in the card.
-Send the card within one to two weeks after the gift has been received (or the event has taken place). It's acceptable to take three to four weeks after a large event like a shower or a wedding. That said, the expression better late than never definitely applies to thank you notes.

So there you have it. A quick and simple guide to your very own handwritten thank you note. Now get to it!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Top Sites

Home & Garden Blogs
>

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

GoStats hit counter