We've moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home in 5 seconds. If that does not occur,or you don't want to wait, visit
WordsOnWendhurst.com
Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

To Be My Husband's Wife: Part 5


For all the posts in this series, click here

The mortgage company strung me along for the next two months, promising me that "next week" they would have news about when I could start. We were fine financially, because from the beginning we had chosen to live off of Lover's income, and we only used mine for extras. So money wasn't a problem. How to occupy myself, however, was. We lived in a little apartment that I could clean in two hours, and the two of us didn't make much laundry. In other words, I didn't have a lot to occupy my time. I began to focus on my photography, and did several shoots over those two months. I also lined up a few clients that I would be doing regular shoots with over the next year.

In August I got a job at the mall, selling men's suits. The pay was terrible, but they offered health insurance, and my college insurance had just run out. The insurance that was offered at Lover's job was ridiculously expensive, so we figured this was the best idea. I put in about twenty hours a week at the mall, and the job was very low stress and quite fun actually.

Then in October, Lover got a new job, where he is now. The pay rate increased significantly, and they offered insurance. We began to discuss the idea of me quitting my part time job when his insurance kicked in. I was getting busier with photography, and it was starting to interfere with the hours I was working at the mall, especially on weekends. Lover's new job also required at least 25% travel, and there was a possibility that I would be able to travel with him at times. Obviously, I would not be able to go with him if I was holding down a regular job.

Lover encouraged me to take the leap to quit the mall job at the end of December. We were looking at buying a house, my photography was keeping me busy, and we now had insurance through his new job. Plus, they were cutting my hours and responsibilities, so there was really no reason to stay. We put in an offer on Wendhurst Castle, and it was accepted.

Looking at the upcoming year, I knew that my photography would keep me as busy as I wanted, there was the possibility of traveling with Lover, and we had just purchased an old home that was going to need a LOT of work to become liveable. With all of that in mind, we made the decision that I would quit my job and stay at home. This is definitely one of the scariest decisions I have ever made. I was afraid that I would become insanely bored, that I would be judged by peers, family and friends, that I would become a "boring housewife."

Next week I'll wrap up this series and tell you how things have worked out so far with my little adventure of becoming a stay at home wife.

3 comments:

Emily November 11, 2009 at 9:19 AM  

Makes total sense. So did you get to travel a good amount?

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst November 11, 2009 at 9:24 AM  

Yes Emily, I have. I'll cover it next week, but we've gone to NYC and Tampa Bay, as well as some other more local destinations. It's been fun.

husbandversuswife December 16, 2009 at 7:05 PM  

Sounds like it could be stressful! You might be interested in checking out checking out our blog - husbandveruswife.com. We're crowdsourcing relationship advice by letting readers decide who's right and wrong in our marital disagreements :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Top Sites

Home & Garden Blogs
>

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

GoStats hit counter