We've moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home in 5 seconds. If that does not occur,or you don't want to wait, visit
WordsOnWendhurst.com
Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Friday, November 6, 2009

Project Curb Appeal - The Final Reveal!

The day has finally come to reveal our finished Project Curb Appeal. It is hard to believe that we started this project four months ago, and we are just finishing up now. I really expected to have this done a lot sooner. However, time and money crunches meant that we finished it up just in the nick of time, before winter reared its ugly head. Here's where we started,

And here's Wendhurst Castle's new look.


If you recall, in this post I laid out the grand plan for amping up our exterior's appeal, and doing it on a dime. I even did a little Photoshop mockup of what the house would look like once everything was repaired, painted and restored, and the plants had matured.

We worked on each part of the project as we got a chance over the summer, and into fall. Of course, we had the rainiest summer I can remember in a long time, so that made the painting projects difficult. It was great for all the new plants though, I have to say. I hardly had to water.

The first thing we did was tear out the old bushes, which I showed you here. We talked about finding a great deal on Ebay for the boxwoods that we wanted, and picking up a few daylilies for color. I also showed you how I made over the little garden area by the stairs, with some free plants, some annuals and a happy mum.

I also wanted big, showy baskets of petunias hanging from the porch roof. While you won't see them in the final after, they hung on the porch for most of the summer, and looked beautiful. :-) Here's a little mosaic of the various plants we put in throughout the summer.


The bushes really took off once summer started cooling down. There are a couple that are looking decidedly less stick-ish, and much more bushy.

In July I painted the front door and the trim around it. I am so in love with the colors that we chose, and the door looks fantastic now. Quite a difference from the way it looked when we first moved in!

Also in July, Lover and I tackled the broken down, falling apart porch stairs. We had never worked with concrete before, so there was definitely a learning curve, but they turned out fantastic. They're so much safer, and they look great! I have to give credit where credit is due here, and say that Lover did 99% of this project. My handsome hubby has got mad skillz!

In August I blogged about the fantastic deal we got on a hanging, craftsman style pendant. This lovely light only set us back 30 buckaroos, but what it did for the house's looks is priceless. I am seriously so in love with this light. :-)

Painting the windowsills and the porch floor was easy enough, other than trying to find a time when it wasn't raining. The sills all got a couple of coats of Valspar's Native Henna (the color of the trim around the door)
and the floor is Kilz' Antique Spice (matched to Glidden's Porch and Floor paint). It's such a rich, warm brown, I love it.

I found two plastic pots at Big Lots that I transformed into cool metal looking planters with a bunch of spray paint. Then I scored big time at Home Depot with their 50% perennial sale (end of season) and picked up two Dwarf Arborvitae. These bright little evergreens will grow to be about three feet tall, just the right height to the give the door an extra special touch. I'm planning on weaving little white lights through them for Christmas.

And did you see the awesome, fabulous mailbox hanging on the wall next to the door? Lover made it for me. Yep, that's right, he made it. Because he is awesome like that. This was the picture I showed him, when I asked him to make it for me.

And this is what he created for me.

Isn't he awesome? Previously we had a sorry, rusted metal mailbox that just wasn't cutting it. Last summer I quickly sprayed it black to hide the rust, but it was still ugly. This wooden one is so much prettier, and the mail actually fits into it. Novel concept, I know.

So there you have it. A house's transformation from blah to gorgeous that was relatively easy on manpower hours and the wallet. Here's a breakdown of the cost:
  • Paint for door, trim, and floor $60
  • Plants for landscaping (including two kinds of boxwoods, daylilies, mums, and clematis, and evergreens for porch) $72
  • Porch Light $30
  • Supplies for stair repair $75
  • Chairs for porch $45
  • Table for porch $1
  • Pots for evergreens and daylilies $40
  • Planter for stairs $7
Grand Total: $330

Not bad overall. There are still some little items on our to-do list, as always. I had originally intended to replace the house numbers, but I haven't decided where they should move to yet, and we need to come up with a solution for seeing them at night. We also want to install spotlights on the large trees that flank the porch, but we haven't found the right solution for that either. We can't run electrical because there's a sidewalk in the way, and we haven't found a strong enough solar light yet. And, we have to add the ceiling medallion to the light fixture to cover up the hole the previous light left. But I have to say, I love coming home now, and the sight of our house makes me smile every time. :-)

Linked to:
It's So Very Creative @ It's So Very Cheri

Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on The Porch

Room a Month @ Shades of Pink

Fall festival @ DIY Showoff

Made It Monday @ Persimmon Perch

DIY Day @ A Soft Place to Land

22 comments:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards November 6, 2009 at 12:55 PM  

OH MY GOODNESS - I love it. You did such a great job and it was truly on a dime. The porch paint nad fix-up is my favorite transformation.

And, that mailbox and the lantern light fixture are fab.

Shannon November 6, 2009 at 1:09 PM  

Hi there! I came to see you from Kim's blog. Can't wait to see what you've got in store for the DIY party. That's if you have any energy left after this amazing project. The steps? The light? The mailbox? Incredible. It looks so so good, congrats on getting it done on the cheap!

Danielle and Clint November 6, 2009 at 2:51 PM  

Hooray!!! It's here!!! WOW...it looks awesome. Great job! Love how the place looks warm and cozy now :-)

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst November 6, 2009 at 4:29 PM  

Yay! I am so glad that you girls like the transformation! We are definitely lovin it!

Emily November 6, 2009 at 4:44 PM  

Wow, you guys did an amazing job! I love it. The porch makeover just nailed it - so fabulous.

micah November 6, 2009 at 4:46 PM  

Everything looks great! So warm and welcoming... I bet it feels good to be done!

Janean November 7, 2009 at 9:42 PM  

seriously $330?? Wow - you all did a LOT of work and it was all those details that made the difference! ya!

From the Old InkWell November 8, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

Beautiful! You have done a fantastic job!!

nannykim November 8, 2009 at 9:01 PM  

Really pretty make over--warm and inviting. Love that mail box

http://spindlecottage.blogspot.com

Sedona @ MyDivineDelights November 8, 2009 at 9:06 PM  

great great job! The house looks so nice! I know y'all will have fun watching the landscaping fill in and grow! All of the elements come together nicely! :)

Its So Very Cheri November 8, 2009 at 9:22 PM  

Ohhhhh I love this so much. I dream of rehabbing for a career. I just love to diy and decorate. I hope you can read this Google has me typing without being able to see a thing on the scren, Makes corrections impossible.
Cheri

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking November 8, 2009 at 9:27 PM  

Wow! You did a lot of fix-ups and it looks great!

Its So Very Cheri November 8, 2009 at 9:48 PM  

I came up with an after thought and went to post it.

I think it would be great to do a lettered pumpkin for each person (with their inital) for their place card at Thanksgiving.

Cheri

Julie November 9, 2009 at 10:06 AM  

Your transformation is incredible especially at that price. Your lover's mailbox is great! He has quite a talent. Question: what font are you using for your AFTER? I love it. Thanks for posting on Made it Mondays! Jules

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst November 9, 2009 at 10:18 AM  

Jules,

The "after" font is Chopin Script from Photoshop CS4.:-)

Chari at Happy To Design November 9, 2009 at 6:45 PM  

Hi Jenny...

Ohhh my...what a fabulous transformation! Your home looks absolutely fabulous! OMG...I can't believe that you got this great look and transformation for just $330.00...you did GREAT, my friend! Lots of blood, sweat, and tears...I'm sure...but it sure paid off!

First of all...I love the colors that you chose...so very pretty! I love that green...it's gorgeous! Love, love, LOVE your front door! That's the first thing I noticed when I compared the "before" and "after" photos! My friend, you have a lovely home!!! Congratulations...you certainly reached your goal for that fabulous exterior redo!!! Thank you for sharing your beautiful home with us...I'm so very happy for you!!!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Embellished Bayou November 9, 2009 at 8:44 PM  

It looks fresh and new! Your hard work really paid off, great job!

Anonymous November 9, 2009 at 10:59 PM  

My you have been hard at work!! Your porch looks wonderful! Our back steps look like your before and am glad to see they can be fixed!! Love the green trim color around the door and your new mail box is super cute!! Great job!!!

blessings
mary

Katherine @ Grass Stains November 10, 2009 at 11:16 AM  

The transformation is amazing! I think my very favorite part is the mailbox. To be honest, I think your version looks even better than your inspiration picture! Great job on everything ...

Tammy November 10, 2009 at 4:33 PM  

Looking good. It is amazing how long diy projects take on an older home. I say figure out a time line then multiply it by about 3 to get a good estimate :)
Stop by my blog and check out our 1929 foursquare..we are always doing projects on her.
tammy

28years November 11, 2009 at 11:54 AM  

This is all so awesome! The mailbox is very impressive.

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk November 14, 2009 at 11:52 PM  

It looks so much better! I do need to say you needa rent a power washer and the two pine infront of the house have to go!! It will add a wonderful new lease to your darling little home!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Top Sites

Home & Garden Blogs
>

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

GoStats hit counter