We've moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home in 5 seconds. If that does not occur,or you don't want to wait, visit
WordsOnWendhurst.com
Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Decorating for Fall



Typically I go all out decorating for fall. I have an entire Rubbermaid bin devoted to my fall decorations. But this year I went for simple touches of fall in bits and pieces throughout the main rooms. We'e worked really hard on our house this summer, and accomplished a lot of projects, and I've been enjoying how the rooms have really come together. I didn't feel like covering all of our hard work up with a bunch of garlands and decorations.

In the living room, I moved some of the mantel decorations around, just a little bit. I absolutely love this painting on the middle of the mantel. I moved my clear vase of sticks and pinecones next to it, and added a little gold vase filled with fall leaves and an Indian corn. Aren't you loving my luscious jade plant that I picked up recently? I love it!


I really enjoy decorating just the corners of the mantel, leaving the rest clean and bare. I think it draws more attention to the beautiful woodwork. On the left is my pretty leaf pillar holder, with the Moroccan lantern and my amber thrift stores goblets. Under the goblets is a collection of Jane Austen's novels.

On the right is a picture of a castle in Avila, Spain with another beautiful gold vase. The books underneath the pumpkin are The Lord God Made Them All by James Herriott, and The Alhambra by Washington Irving. Both are great books. I found the pumpkin last fall at the Christmas Tree Shop.

On the piano I swapped out the summery stuff I had there and replaced it with one of my favorite picture frames of the two of us. The frame was a wedding gift, and I love the collection of pictures in it. An urn with some fall berries completed this uber simple setup.

By the window I hung my gorgeous fall wreath. I love all of the colors and elements of this wreath. It just exudes fall, in my opinion. This is the perfect spot for the wreath, as I am still searching for the perfect something to go on the wall here between the doorway and the window.


Moving on to the dining room, I did something I don't usually do, I set the table for a lovely autumn dinner. I think dining rooms look so much nicer when they are all set for dinner, don't you think?
The champagne glasses I found at the dollar store, can you believe that? The glass is such a pretty shade of green.

I made the centerpiece, although it didn't come out like I originally planned. I found the tray at Goodwill, leftover from Target's clearance. Of course it wasn't that pretty, being a neon green. Some spray paint fixed that problem. I wanted to make tea light holders out of mini pumpkins, but I couldn't find them anywhere this fall. Not sure what was up with that. So, instead I used a bunch of little candles that I already had. The filler is a bag of split peas! :-)

Don't you just love my plates? They are Spanish china, that my parents bought for me when I lived in Spain. I love that they remind me of Spain, and also of the Currier & Ives plates that we had growing up. These are just the salad plates, but I have most of the set. :-) The colors in the plates inspired the color scheme for the living room and dining room.

Then there are just a few other touches in the dining room. A little pumpkin and some baubles on the antique dresser,



some garlands all piled up in the wooden bowl on the bookcase,

and some deep red hydrangeas and pinecones on my refinished dresser. Isn't my red rose from Lover beautiful!

Hope you enjoyed my little fall tour. I'm linking this up to Tablescape Thursday, my very first tablescape! :-)

11 comments:

Rettabug October 28, 2009 at 11:20 PM  

You have such wonderfully interesting & unusual items to play with! The Moroccan lantern, those spectacular plates (they DO look like Currier & Ives) and all your beautiful accessories. Just lovely! Thanks for sharing & telling us about them all.

♥ Rettabug

Lori E October 28, 2009 at 11:50 PM  

I agree the dollar store champagne flutes look much more expensive and elegant.
You have lots of interesting pieces to decorate with and you use them well.
A castle eh? Is it very cold? Ghosts?

Unknown October 29, 2009 at 9:05 AM  

I love your spanish plates. The blue is just so unexpected in a fall table but a very pleasant surprise!

Blessings!
Gail

P.S. Be sure to scoot over and enter in for my Giveway...only a few days left!

Cynthia October 29, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

Your glasses are a real find at the dollar store. Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ October 29, 2009 at 4:11 PM  

Hi Jenny, I do like your plates, so pretty. You are so stylish so classy.

Unknown October 29, 2009 at 6:33 PM  

Oh what a lovely home...castle you have have. Simply love those plates.

Kim @ Starshine Chic October 29, 2009 at 8:01 PM  

Great fall touches. I really love your tablescape on the dining room table. Simple, yet fabulous. I do love the plates. They are fabulous.

Jeanette October 29, 2009 at 8:05 PM  

I like the blue. I just can't get over how well it blends. I have to try it soon.

Lori (All That Splatters) October 29, 2009 at 11:49 PM  

I love the simple elegance of your table. Really nice!

Dining Delight October 30, 2009 at 1:45 AM  

Loved seeing the different areas of your beautiful home and your "minimal" fall decor just adds to them!

DD

Mid-Atlantic Martha October 31, 2009 at 8:18 PM  

All your "little" touches of Fall are very pretty.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Top Sites

Home & Garden Blogs
>

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

GoStats hit counter