We've moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home in 5 seconds. If that does not occur,or you don't want to wait, visit
WordsOnWendhurst.com
Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Curvy Candlesticks: Making over dated brass objects


One of the little projects I have been working on is this pretty pair of candlesticks. I found them on a shelf at Goodwill shoved in with a bunch of other tacky brass items. I really liked the twisty curviness of them, and thought they had great potential. Plus, their price sticker was the right color so they were 50% off. I got both of them for $1.99 :-)

I knew I wanted to go dark with these babies. My living room is a light creamy tan, and any white or light items on the mantel get lost against the light wall color. I wanted to try and replicate a timeless oil rubbed bronze finish, with my own twist. The fact that these sticks were already bronze meant that the underlying finish would be really pretty.

I took advantage of a non-rainy day, and set up outside with my arsenal of spray paint. I really like starting with a base coat of one color, and then doing very light coats of other colors to make the finish more interesting. I started by coating the sticks in a flat black enamel. The candlesticks immediately had more presence and their "curviness" stood out more.


Then I took a dark brown glossy paint, and lightly misted it back and forth over the black paint. This part is always a little tricky, and sometimes I have to start over with the black and work up to the other paints again. The brown misting was just enough to warm up the black and give the candlesticks a warm, time worn finish.

My last step was to take a metallic gold spray paint and lightly mist it over the sticks. I love a little bit of sparkle. :-) Here's a look at what the candlesticks look like now, all spiffed up and made over. I can't wait to use these guys over the holidays!



Linked to Metamorphosis Monday. Check out all the other great transformations here

And to Thrifty Decor Chick's Before and After Party Come join the par-tay!

20 comments:

Leanne October 11, 2009 at 8:19 PM  

I really like those! I like to go dig around in thrift stores... much fun! I painted some HUGE brass ones my mom gave me one year for Christmas. (SHH! Don't tell her!:)) I went straight black, but I LOVE your idea... may have to try that!

Lorna ~ Lace and Ivy Cottage October 11, 2009 at 8:25 PM  

This is my kind of craft, easy but packs a big punch. Great job!

trish October 11, 2009 at 8:52 PM  

That is a great little makeover. I especially like the black! :o)

Shanty 2 Chic October 11, 2009 at 9:11 PM  

Isn't it great to be able to bring pieces back to life with a little paint! Great job! ~ Ashley

Signing Out October 11, 2009 at 9:26 PM  

The candlesticks are beautiful! It's amazing what paint can do. Great job!

Jane

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards October 11, 2009 at 9:35 PM  

I like this a lot. I need to keep my eyes open for brass items to paint. I just hate to bring things home that I'm not sure of, but for $1.50, I can risk it. =)

Its So Very Cheri October 11, 2009 at 10:04 PM  

They look magnificient. What an inspirational project. I'm sure many gals will do a similar project.
I hope you will come by for a visit.
Cheri

xinex October 11, 2009 at 10:12 PM  

The candlesticks turned out really pretty. What a good deal!...Christine

Martha October 11, 2009 at 10:31 PM  

Very pretty candlesticks! I've never painted metal but . . . you may have given me inspiration!

Sherri October 12, 2009 at 12:08 AM  

Beautiful. I've been painting TONS of things lately. Don't know why I didn't do it sooner. I love your layered paint idea!

Janell @ House of Fifty October 12, 2009 at 12:34 AM  

Nice finishing touch to add dimension to the finish, beautiful!
Janell

Michelle October 12, 2009 at 12:48 AM  

OH...I liked the candlesticks before and after. Not sure which I would pick as my favorite!

Jane October 12, 2009 at 8:20 AM  

Love the shape of the candlesticks and they look beautiful now with their new color. Great job.

Anonymous October 12, 2009 at 7:02 PM  

I'm just like you too. I find bargains and repaint. I have messed some projects up pretty bad, but others are darn cute. I really enjoyed your blog. Please come by my blog for a visit.

Jessica

Anonymous October 12, 2009 at 7:06 PM  

Oh they are so pretty! But then I shocked my Aunt by painting my cabinets black. LOL I just love black

If you haven't already come link up at my Room a month makeover. http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/2009/10/room-month-monster-dominoes.html

nannykim October 12, 2009 at 8:36 PM  

really nice transformation!

spindle cottage is my house blog

Julie October 12, 2009 at 9:10 PM  

The transformation is wonderful...so cool what you can do with Paint...
xoxo
Julie

ImagineCozy October 13, 2009 at 11:59 AM  

What a beautiful change. It is remarkable what color can do.
-Angela

Phyllis @Around the House October 14, 2009 at 12:45 AM  

Wow I love those candle sticks, they look so fashionable in the new color just wonderful...

K@The Thrifty Teacher October 17, 2009 at 4:32 PM  

Wow! They turned out great! All of that work paid off!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Top Sites

Home & Garden Blogs
>

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

GoStats hit counter