We've moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home in 5 seconds. If that does not occur,or you don't want to wait, visit
WordsOnWendhurst.com
Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Inspiration for the Dining Room

I've told you how the dining room has been bothering me. It is painted, and there are curtains, but other than putting up a picture collage on the wall, I haven't done much with the room. That's all going to change, and here's my plan:


Let's start with the existing furniture. The table in the middle represents the Queen Anne style table that is currently in our dining room. I plan to keep it, it just needs a little TLC. Our table has a bit more presence, and some pretty detailing on the legs.

The dresser in the top left represents a dresser that we are turning into a buffet for the dining room. Ours looks pretty much just like this, except that the handles are a pretty scrolled metal instead of wood. This piece also needs some loving and repairing.

The corner cabinet on the right represents the cabinet that I want for my Spanish china. I found this one on Craigslist and it is just about exactly what I want, just a little out of my price range. If necessary, this piece could be refinished to go with the rest of the furniture.

The coat tree on the bottom of the board is one that we bought in Wisconsin. It is currently unfinished parawood, we are just waiting to decide on a stain for the rest of the furniture in this room.

The chairs beneath the table are examples of a style that I think would work with the table, and the other elements already in the room. I like the curving X of the back, and the fact that they have upholstered seats. Our current chairs are quite uncomfortable, and falling apart. I don't like them enough to try to fix them up. Hopefully I'll be able to find a deal on these, and I am considering using a different fabric to bring another layer of texture and pattern into the room.

The curtains are the ones I made a few months ago. I like them, but they need some tweaking. I want to paint the rod an oil rubbed bronze, change the way the curtains hang from the rod, and replace the tassel tiebacks with something that looks better.

The curtains are a really brilliant blue, so I thought that a few peacock feathers in a copper urn in the center of the table would look really cool. The iridescent colors of the feathers will pick up all of the existing colors in the room.

To the left of the feathers are a couple of amber colored tealight holders. I have a little DIY plan for these, stay tuned for details, if I can find them in a store nearby!

In the far left corner is a wooden footed bowl filled with decorative orbs. I found a similar footed bowl a few months ago, and I'll be looking for some balls covered in feathers, twigs and moss to fill the bowl.

Below the bowl are a couple of pretty little amber candleholders. I think they would look great above the buffet on little wooden shelves.

Below the candleholders are a couple of woven baskets. These, placed next to the coat tree, will be great for corralling all of the shoes that collect near the front door. :-)

I think this cream, blue, and tan runner will look great in front of the buffet, between the buffet and the table. Hopefully it will add some softness and color to the room.

Last but not least, in the lower right corner, are some functional accessories that will add a little more glamor. A natural woven table runner will look great on the buffet, especially when topped by this metal tray. The mosaic tray will look great on the refinished dresser in the corner, paired with a little wooden clock.

So there you have it! I am sure I won't follow this inspiration board exactly (I never do) but this gives me a vision for the room that will help me focus. What do you think?

Linked to It's Great to Be Home's Inspiration Party.

4 comments:

Oonafey September 23, 2009 at 5:41 AM  

It looks like it will all come together beautifully! I made the mistake of starting in the dining room and have since lost interest because we do not have the pieces to complete it. How do you make your inspiration boards? Maybe this will help me to "see" how the room needs to come together.

Danielle and Clint September 23, 2009 at 6:09 AM  

I saw those big baskets in pottery barns catolog! I was so in love with them! Nice choices.

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst September 23, 2009 at 1:33 PM  

Oonafey - I don't really have a process, except for the fact that I start with some kind of an inspiration piece. In this case I knew that I would have a lot of warm wood tones and the warm wall color, so I knew that I would need to find other similarly warm, or jewel tones accessories. Then, I spend a chuck of time browsing stores online and I save the images I like. The last thing I do is put it all together in a board so I can picture the whole room coming together. I use Photoshop to make the board. HTH!

Heartfire At Home September 23, 2009 at 4:22 PM  

Hi Jenny!

Visiting via It's Great To Be Home.

Looks like it will all be beautiful. Warm and jewel tones, my favourite!

The runner and the peacock feathers are gorgeous, and it sounds like your existing furniture will fit really well.

You've also thought about the practicality of it all! Hope you get it done soon. :)

Linda. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Top Sites

Home & Garden Blogs
>

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

GoStats hit counter