We've moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home in 5 seconds. If that does not occur,or you don't want to wait, visit
WordsOnWendhurst.com
Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Light and Airy Laundry Room


I found this "Deluxe Wooden Coat Rack" at a garage sale last week for one dollar.


I had been trying to find something that would be the missing link for my little laundry room makeover. I needed a row of hooks on the empty wall for hanging delicates and items that couldn't go in the dryer. But every hook I could find at Lowes and the like were at least $2 a piece. Adding a whole row of them would prove costly.

A can of white spray paint made this coat rack fit in nicely with the rest of the items in my fresh and clean laundry room.

Here's what the laundry "nook" looked like when we bought the house. Notice the paneling, the lovely wallpaper on the left wall, and the psychadelic colors of the cabinet on the right.





My father was kind enough to spend a few hours painting this room before we moved the washing machine and dryer into the room. I spent a few months searching for the right fabric to bring some happy color into the now fresh and clean space.

I hung a sheer panel over the doorway where the carpet covered doors had been. I used a blue on white polka dot cotton to make a screen to cover the electrical box. It's hanging from curtain clips on a wire, so it can be easily moved aside when we need to access the panel.




I had the wooden shelf with a heart cutout already, given to me when my parents moved. A couple of coats of white paint helped freshen it up, and I "accessorized" it with some faux blue hydrangeas, a picture of Lover and I, some Oxiclean in a white jar, and a white plastic box holding dryer sheets. I had all of these things, so there was no additional cost.


On the left wall, I took cork panels taken off the walls of the office and covered them in another polka dot print, this one with richer colors. I figure I can use these panels to hold spare buttons, stain remover tips, etc.




Below the cork panels I hung a watercolor I did of some laundry drying in the breeze. Isn't it pretty?


On the left wall, I put some pegboard hooks on the now white cabinet, and the coat rack on the adjacent wall. (Opposite the washer and dryer) Above the rack I freehanded the saying "Life and Laundry, Loads of Fun!"



Doing laundry in this area is much more pleasant now, and I love that I spent about $15 to make it enjoyable. Here's to makeovers on a dime!

Linked to Metamorphosis Monday and Thrifty Treasures. Check out the other tranformations and great finds!

15 comments:

abeachcottage.com August 23, 2009 at 5:05 PM  

much more pleasant, great job! love the shelf/hooks

sarah

stefanie August 23, 2009 at 6:24 PM  

sooooo much better!

gayled August 23, 2009 at 7:37 PM  

Good job and how clever to do it on a frugal budget

Mary August 23, 2009 at 9:29 PM  

So much nicer and enjoyable to be in a pretty room. You did a nice job with great accessories!

Mary

Linda August 24, 2009 at 2:14 AM  

That room is so cheerful - love it! You watercolor is adorable - just perfect! Great redo! Linda

Michelle August 24, 2009 at 3:50 AM  

I love to see the laundry rooms! Fresh paint always makes such a huge difference. Your room looks great!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality August 24, 2009 at 3:52 AM  

Jenny, how cute that is now, SO much better than before. Love your little watercolor & freestyle handwriting too. Great job on a budget space!

Wendy August 24, 2009 at 5:46 AM  

That looks so much better!

Shelia August 24, 2009 at 6:05 AM  

What a difference some white paint makes! It looks great!
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

marty39 August 24, 2009 at 6:40 AM  

What a super transformation. I love how bright and cheery it is now. Looks fabulous. Hugs, Marty

Mrs. P. August 24, 2009 at 6:55 AM  

Great laundry room make over! Now laundry will be a breeze!!

Beeutiful by Design August 24, 2009 at 10:03 AM  

Love the laundry room. It's amazing how much time we actually spend in there each week.

Terry August 24, 2009 at 12:04 PM  

I really, really like your art in the laundry. I think you should have art all the way to and from the laundry - as well as in the laundry. Nice work.

Karen at Nittany Inspirations August 25, 2009 at 8:49 AM  

You did an amazing job. My laundry room was the worst room in the house when we moved in. It will always remain an "unfinished" area in the basement, but not I don't mind going there.

Kelly Muys Wood November 17, 2009 at 2:02 PM  

"Life and laundry, loads of fun!"

Love it.

Kelly

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Top Sites

Home & Garden Blogs
>

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

GoStats hit counter