We've moved!

You will be automatically redirected to our new home in 5 seconds. If that does not occur,or you don't want to wait, visit
WordsOnWendhurst.com
Don't forget to update your bookmarks!

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Ideas for the office

I've been playing with ideas for the office, and have already made one previous "idea board." I know that I want to do an asian themed room, but the last board I did hadn't really captured the look I was going for in the room. I want the office to be relaxing and simple, so that it is easy to work in. Here are some pics of the office currently, so you can get an idea of where everything will go. We'll be taking down some of the paneling, replacing some of the drywall, and obviously painting over that hideous blue.  




And here is the idea board. 

1. First off, the color scheme is very simple. Black for some of the furnishings, and the built in desk/cabinet/file drawers will be painted white. The walls will be a nice gray, and the trim around windows, etc will be a crisp white. Red will be brought in to cheer up the room in plenty of accents. 

2. This great rug from Target brings all of those colors together. It's definitely out of the price range, but it gives an idea of the color, and the design that would really work. I am not a fan of abstract in general, but I love it in rugs. As far as size, the bigger the better, as the floor in the office is really beatup. 

3. This ebony desk is from Penneys, but it's not what we would use. We want to use our old front door, and convert it into a desk. I think we would either paint it black or white, and build legs and storage underneath it.  A little plexiglass for the top and, presto, a lovely desk with lots of history. As far as placement in the room, I'm thinking on the wall across from the closet, as long as there is enough light. 

4. Instead of your average, boring (and pricey!) office chair, I would want to go with something like this red leather parsons chair from Pier 1. Definitely red, for accenting, and I like the formality a dining room chair brings in. It keeps the office from feeling too cubicle-y. I also love the added texture that leather would bring in. This one's $50, but I'm sure I can find something better priced, especially if it's a DIY project. 

5. All three of these lamps are from Pier 1 as well. I love the clean, simple lines, the simple shades in the coordinating colors. I'm thinking the red one(s) on the desk, and the white one on the built in desk, in one of the corners. The paper lantern is an idea for where you see the fridge on the wall, I think it would look cool to hang a couple of these (staggered) in that corner for more light. 

6. This is the inspiration for the room. It's a glazed ceramic asian horse from Target. It's currently on clearance, and I might just pick it up. In spite of the fact that it is insanely popular right now.  However, what I like about it is that it is simple and clean while still embodying lots of style. It's asian without screaming "I'm asian! See all the color and embroidery!"

7. This photo collage would look great on the wall opposite the built in desk. I'm thinking matching black frames, wide white mats, and black and white photographs taken by moi! 

8. Once again from Pier 1, these vases could go above the built in desk, on the door desk, or on any book shelves that may happen to make their way into the room. I love the white ones with the touch of metallic shine, and the red bamboo ones have a great texture to them. I'll be watching for the red ones to go on clearance!

9. Although I am not sure where a pillow would be needed in the office, :0) I liked the color and pattern of this pillow. The contrast between the red and white is stellar, and the pattern is subtly reminiscent of the Far East. 

10. Lastly, this little wall decoration is cute and attractive at the same time. It ties in with the asian flair, and it's cool too. :-) 

So there you have it, the inspiration for our office. Some of this is definitely just ideas, but some I'll actually be looking for in the stores! Hope you enjoyed!

3 comments:

Jen October 30, 2008 at 6:09 PM  

Ooh, lovely mood board, can't wait to see it all come together in real life!

chel November 20, 2008 at 10:56 AM  

how do you do an idea board like that? is there a place online to compile your ideas? i'm so curious. and i seriously need help with pulling my ideas together for our livingroom. how do you know what colors will work together?

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst December 10, 2008 at 5:06 PM  

CheL,
I did this idea board in Photoshop, as I have mad skills :-) No seriously, that is what I use, but there is a site that a lot of people use called Polyvore.com I hear it's good. As far as color combinations, learn the color wheel and browse sites like ratemyspace.hgtv.com for inspiration.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Top Sites

Home & Garden Blogs
>

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

GoStats hit counter